Monday, October 8, 2007

"What's up? Chicken Butt - that's what!"

Ah-ha! Aren't I funny? These beauties are my sweet little chickens (the white one is self conscious about her tail feathers). So last night as I was checking on the chickens in their new coop I was feeling their underbellies by their bums. They are so soft! They are the best pets, they eat your bugs, fertilize your lawn and garden, they are quiet and rarely run away. They never bite and always let the kids hold them and chase them around. You should all be jealous.

Today was the best part of having a chicken. I went out to feed my chickens this morning and lo and behold guess what I found in their coop? You will never guess! The cutest, tiniest brown egg. The first ever. A mama couldn't be prouder of her babies. Evie was estatic and so was Luke, I even went out to check for more eggs 4 times today. I told April that I feel like my food storage was now complete. I have my own supply of fresh meat (not the chickens, just the eggs). So if the flu epidemic the commericals are talking about actually happens, you can come to my house for an omelet...

.

8 comments:

Kristen said...

you've almost convinced me to get chickens! NOT!! I am proud of you for getting "back to the basics" in life and living off your land. You're a real pioneer!

The Ringleader said...

Would you be offended if I ever called you to borrow some chicken? I sometimes run a little short when I am making enchiladas...just kidding mother hen. Congrats on the egg. It's about time someone else laid something around here. I think the chickens got off easy. We have to lay 8 lb. babies!

Brooke said...

Wow, you almost made me jealous of the chickens! You make them sound great! I am excited to taste a B chicken egg omelet. For some reason, I is always talking about eating the chickens themselves. Well, now I know that you will always have an egg if I need one. Thanks!

go boo boo said...

thanks for the chicken tips. I am pretty psyched for next spring.

Kristen said...

why are you not updating your blog? you are obviously "blogging" because you are commenting on others. we need to read a good post from you. can't you pull some luke and evie story out of your head or are you saving them all for our retreat???

Sarah M said...

Tausha! I am so glad my pops told you about the blog. It will be such a great way to keep in touch. I have to tell you that I just laughed for a good ten minutes... and am seriously re-thinking actually birthing this little fetus growing inside of me. I can not even fathom what a little handful Luke must be -- but you can't deny his cuteness -- and the cuteness of the rest of your sweet kids.

PS Totally jealous of the chickens. We just got our backyard all fenced in, it's not such a bad idea. :-)

Hoosier Mama said...

I love your blog! It sounds like you live quite the adventurous life with your kids! Can't wait to see everyone at christmas - maybe we should plan a Jones girl's night out around Christmas time, all the girl cousins and Aunts... let me know what you think! Let's keep in touch cuz!

Hoosier Mama said...

or maybe a lunch date would be more reasonable around the holidays... is sarah going to be in town?