Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's a big world out there!

I didn't realize how sheltered I am until tonight. I came to the shocking realization that life is going on all around me. Exciting and new things, a wealth of knowledge and culture. I started a class tonight. It runs for 11 weeks every Tuesday and Thursday night from 6-9. It is a breath of fresh air to experience the world. Did you know that other people do other things than raise children? People are busy working and joining groups and being engaged. They don't all stay home and cook and do dishes and clean up diarrhea. The class I am taking is on tax preparation. I have always enjoyed this, I think because I like getting money from the government. My text books look exciting (not really) and consist of about 2,000 pages, which I will be tested on at the end of the course. I also have homework, scary, it has been a long time. Okay so one of the men in my class is a refugee from Sierra Leone. This is so exciting because I just finished reading this fabulous book "A long way gone" and watched Blood Diamond (I know it is R but I just couldn't help myself after reading this book). I spent every spare second tonight peppering this man with questions about things he probably wanted to forget. His wife, sister, brother and a parent I believe were all killed in the conflict. He escaped to Guinea and then came to the states 4 years ago. Absolutely incredible that things like this are going on in the world and I know nothing about it, until now. My life is shallow and small and I want to change that. I was asking him all about the organization they have in Utah for refugee's of Sierra Leone. I am hoping I will be able to find a way to contribute in some small way to these people. I was thinking of you Doug as I spoke with him. I know you are teaching this book this semester and thought his insights on the war (probably not the sentence structure) might be of some use. I think we should all get out of our comfort zone more, don't you?


p.s. who won the election?

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Becker and Buhler won. So who am I going to vote for now? Who knows. I had no idea you were taking a class. How fun, kind of, except the homework. Tell me about the book you read, sound interesting and depressing all in one. I probably should broaden my horizons and get involved in something larger than my life. But sometimes I like my comfort zone!

Tausha said...

Brooke,
The book is a memoir about a boy who's family is killed in the conflict and he is recruited to be a soldier. They drug them with herion, cocaine, weed and liqour and then send these young boys out to kill men, women and children with machine guns. He was rehabilitated, escaped Sierra Leone and got to america. It was fascinating!

The Ringleader said...

sounds like some light reading taush. in all seriousness, there is a bigger world out there. what if we all teamed up with some type of cause? there are so many things in our own backyards we could be doing.
p.s. i went to the fair tonight and thought about you. you probably shouldn't go, because who knows what animals you might bring home. goats, cows, bunnies?

Kristen said...

i am impressed about your class. that sounds so boring to me but you are a lot smarter than i am. i am in arizona right now. abby is bawling all morning because there is a swimming pool right out her back door and that's all she wants to do. UGH!

Kate said...

I am impressed... that is awesome! You are right- we do need to get out of our comfort zone... but sometimes it is hard. I am happy for you!

Kristen said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!